2020 NYS TESOL Teacher Materials Grants
Teacher Material Grant Rubric
K-12, Higher Ed and Adult Ed: September 15, 2020
NYS TESOL Teacher Materials Grants
3 grants total, $250 each for a total of $750
1 for K – 12 (kindergarten through grade 12)
1 for adult ed (programs outside of university/college settings)
1 for higher ed (includes both teacher education as well as academic programs)
Do you have a great idea for an innovative language-learning project but need some money to make it happen? NYS TESOL is accepting applications for its Teacher Materials Grants, small cash awards designed to help teachers enrich their curriculum with the purchase of student classroom learning materials and/or teacher-related materials (e.g., ancillary materials that can be used in conjunction with textbooks or other instruction materials) to support ESL education programs in the United States.
Purpose: To provide funding for projects or professional development activities which directly enrich students’ language, academic, and/or cultural learning experiences.
Who’s Eligible: Teachers/instructors who teach in K-12, adult ed or higher ed. Applicants must also be active members of NYS TESOL. Visit this page to join at http://www.nystesol.org/join.html
Award: $250 per award
Criteria: The Grant Review Committee will review each applicant based on the proposed materials, project goals, reasonability of budget request, and contribution to the student’s needs.
Guidelines: The Teacher Materials Grants Program will provide funding for projects or professional development activities, which directly enrich students’ language, academic, and cultural learning experiences. ESL/ENL learners may be of any age or level. These materials should be for a project/activity/lesson that you propose in the application, and not for everyday classroom supplies (e.g. chalk, paper, etc.)
Successful applicants will be required make a presentation at the next annual conference or submit an article about their projects to NYS TESOL’s publication Idiom. In short, all recipients will be able to give evidence of how the materials were used.
Teacher Materials Grants are awarded before the annual conference after consideration of all applications by a Grant Review Committee composed of representatives of NYS TESOL.
• Each teacher or group may submit only one proposal. Collaboration is encouraged. All applicants must be members of NYS TESOL
• Grants cannot be used to pay school salaries, substitute teacher costs, or personal honoraia for the applicant
• Expenditures for food, awards, rewards, software, consultants and/or field trips will only be considered if the item is an integral and vital component of a larger strategy.
• Grants may be used to supplement expenditures normally supported by state, district, or federal revenues.
• Project funds must be spent within in school year that they are received unless special permission is granted.
A final project and expense report may be required.