excited about elementary teachers who are fired up about their
lessons—who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and
immersing themselves in the rich content they teach. We value teachers
who truly listen to what students are saying—who create a space for
students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their
insights and curiosities along the way. We value educators with a
hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to
Our teachers embrace a rigorous liberal arts program and
a positive approach to discipline, believe in the power of family and
community partnerships, and commit to helping students succeed in
college and beyond.
Why extraordinary teachers teach at Ascend
is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,000 students
across 12 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our
students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to
success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think
critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in
itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that
nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a
positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected,
empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school
buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within
their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in
our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and
encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to
achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website (http://www.ascendlearning.org/our-approach/lower-school-program/
) to learn more about the Ascend approach.
4th grade ENL teacher holds primary responsibility for designing and
implementing direct ENL instruction and collaborating with teachers to
provide English language support in other content areas. Additionally,
the elementary school ENL teacher will:
• Administer diagnostic and state mandated assessments of English Language Learners.
• Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
Evaluate, determine goals for, and track progress of individual English
language learners, and communicate with faculty, students and families.
• Maintain ENL records
Provide direct ENL instruction to small groups of students and/or
provide inclusion support for ELA classes containing ELL students,
based on case load.
• Advise teachers on modifying/accommodating
curriculum for ENL students and share best practices to ensure high
• Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
• Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning,
and professional development, including an annual summer institute
• Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
4th grade ENL teacher reports to the dean of student services. He or
she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of
instruction and dean of students.
degree required; master's degree and TESOL certification or other
certification showing mastery of domain knowledge associated with
learning English as a new language, preferred
• The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
• Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
• Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
• Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
• Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
• Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Diversity at Ascend
is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both
through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and
environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are
valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students.
Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic,
gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the
entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all
applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply
Ascend teacher salaries are above the Department of Education pay scale and commensurate with experience.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/ym59zvqdmfyqcw4t